Black Friday 2024
When is Black Friday 2024?
Black Friday 2023 has already passed: it was on Friday, November 24, 2023 (6 days ago). Calendar for 2023
What is Black Friday?
Large crowds start queuing before dawn in front of shops on Black Friday
Black Friday is the informal name used to mark the beginning of the Christmas
shopping season. Black Friday follows Thanksgiving Day
, a national holiday in the United States celebrated annually on the fourth Thursday of November, and always falls between November 23 and November 29.
In recent years Black Friday has become the busiest shopping day (for in-store foot traffic) of the year in the United States. Many retailers offer large discounts to entice shoppers into stores and start off the shopping season. It is routinely the day with the highest retail turnover of the year and an important indicator for the Christmas business. While it is not an official holiday, many non-retail employees and schools have both Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday off, which, together with the regular weekend that follows, creates a four-day long weekend.
The Christmas shopping season that starts on Black Friday also encompasses:
- Buy Nothing Day, an international day of protest against consumerism, held on the same day as Black Friday
- Small Business Saturday, created as a counterpart to Black Friday and Cyber Monday to encourage shoppers to visit small and local shops, held the day after Black Friday
- Cyber Monday, a marketing term created by online retailers to encourage online shopping, held on the Monday after Black Friday
- Giving Tuesday, an international day of charitable giving, held the day after Cyber Monday
- Super Saturday (also known as Panic Saturday), the name given to the Saturday before Christmas Eve which (unofficially) marks the end of the Christmas shopping season
Despite being the biggest shopping day of the year in the US, Black Friday's number of shoppers and transaction volume are now only a fraction of China's Singles' Day
, which has become the biggest shopping event in the world.
Historically, "Black Friday" is used as a term for often catastrophic events that happened on a Friday. See this list of Black Fridays
Further reading: Black Friday (shopping)
When is Black Friday 2025?
Dates for Black Friday from 2019 to 2029
The next occurrence of Black Friday is marked in red
|When is ...?
||Day of the week
|Black Friday 2019
||November 29, 2019
||1462 days ago
|Black Friday 2020
||November 27, 2020
||1098 days ago
|Black Friday 2021
||November 26, 2021
||734 days ago
|Black Friday 2022
||November 25, 2022
||370 days ago
|Black Friday 2023
||November 24, 2023
||6 days ago
|Black Friday 2024
||November 29, 2024
||in 365 days
|Black Friday 2025
||November 28, 2025
||in 729 days
|Black Friday 2026
||November 27, 2026
||in 1093 days
|Black Friday 2027
||November 26, 2027
||in 1457 days
|Black Friday 2028
||November 24, 2028
||in 1821 days
|Black Friday 2029
||November 23, 2029
||in 2185 days
Data provided 'as is' without warranty
Free printable 2024 calendar templates
A selection of downloadable, printable calendar templates for 2024 with US federal holidays, suitable for a variety of applications. Available for Word, Excel and PDF.
See events index