Black Friday 2023
When is Black Friday 2023?
What is Black Friday?
Large crowds start queuing before dawn in front of shops on Black Friday
Black Friday is the informal name used to mark the beginning of the Christmas
shopping season. Black Friday follows Thanksgiving Day
, a national holiday in the United States celebrated annually on the fourth Thursday of November, and always falls between November 23 and November 29.
In recent years Black Friday has become the busiest shopping day (for in-store foot traffic) of the year in the United States. Many retailers offer large discounts to entice shoppers into stores and start off the shopping season. It is routinely the day with the highest retail turnover of the year and an important indicator for the Christmas business. While it is not an official holiday, many non-retail employees and schools have both Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday off, which, together with the regular weekend that follows, creates a four-day long weekend.
The Christmas shopping season that starts on Black Friday also encompasses:
- Buy Nothing Day, an international day of protest against consumerism, held on the same day as Black Friday
- Small Business Saturday, created as a counterpart to Black Friday and Cyber Monday to encourage shoppers to visit small and local shops, held the day after Black Friday
- Cyber Monday, a marketing term created by online retailers to encourage online shopping, held on the Monday after Black Friday
- Giving Tuesday, an international day of charitable giving, held the day after Cyber Monday
- Super Saturday (also known as Panic Saturday), the name given to the Saturday before Christmas Eve which (unofficially) marks the end of the Christmas shopping season
Despite being the biggest shopping day of the year in the US, Black Friday's number of shoppers and transaction volume are now only a fraction of China's Singles' Day
, which has become the biggest shopping event in the world.
Historically, "Black Friday" is used as a term for often catastrophic events that happened on a Friday. See this list of Black Fridays
Further reading: Black Friday (shopping)
When is Black Friday 2024?
Dates for Black Friday from 2018 to 2028
The next occurrence of Black Friday is marked in red
|When is ...?
||Day of the week
|Black Friday 2018
||November 23, 2018
||1537 days ago
|Black Friday 2019
||November 29, 2019
||1166 days ago
|Black Friday 2020
||November 27, 2020
||802 days ago
|Black Friday 2021
||November 26, 2021
||438 days ago
|Black Friday 2022
||November 25, 2022
||74 days ago
|Black Friday 2023
||November 24, 2023
||in 290 days
|Black Friday 2024
||November 29, 2024
||in 661 days
|Black Friday 2025
||November 28, 2025
||in 1025 days
|Black Friday 2026
||November 27, 2026
||in 1389 days
|Black Friday 2027
||November 26, 2027
||in 1753 days
|Black Friday 2028
||November 24, 2028
||in 2117 days
Data provided 'as is' without warranty
Free printable 2023 calendar templates
A selection of downloadable, printable calendar templates for 2023 with US federal holidays, suitable for a variety of applications. Available for Word, Excel and PDF.
See events index